Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Takumar Early 35mm F3.5 (1960-1962)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Auto Takumar Early 35mm F3.5 (1960-1962) Reply with quote

Well i managed to find another old Auto Takumar to add to my collection of Auto Takumars, I like these old lenses more than the later takumars they seem warmer and have some nice character they are also tiny.
All shot on Sony Nex no lens Hood
none of these are HDRS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good, the blues are amazing Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looks really good, the blues are amazing Shocked

+1 I was thinking the same.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for commenting, yes i was surprised at the blues, it renders very, the pics of the minster window almost looked like some HDR i will have to try this lens for HDR work

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very happy with this lens too once I had a chance to try before sell it among to my friend. I love all of your samples, you did prove it how good this small and cute lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, the colours are really very nice, as mentioned, the blues are striking. I like the rust colours on 11 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be the same formula as the later Super-Takumar 35/3.5 ?

Very well done samples BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis thankyou for the comments, according to http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html
This is the construction of the early 35mm F3.5

According to most reports its the same, but the newer lens received bigger glass, as this is a 46mm Filter.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-35mm-F3.5.html
Mine is the early version that goes up to F22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Takumar Early 35mm F3.5 (1960-1962) Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Well i managed to find another old Auto Takumar to add to my collection of Auto Takumars, I like these old lenses more than the later takumars they seem warmer and have some nice character they are also tiny.
All shot on Sony Nex no lens Hood
none of these are HDRS

hahahaa, none of these are HDRS! looks as for photos taken with this little Auto Takumar this must be mentioned Smile

congrats for the lens eddieitman, and the very beautiful samples.
I hope it wasn't too difficult to get ( now it's too late, but if you look at my sig, you find one mentioned for sale Smile I have two )

the blues, amazing right! actually so far, just as with the Auto Takumar f2/55, more often I have found the reds and also greens amazing. E.g see the red on the ship on the third, also the trees. Imo it's simply that these early Auto Takumars render amazing colors!

luisalegria wrote:
Would that be the same formula as the later Super-Takumar 35/3.5 ?
Very well done samples BTW.

yes, it is said so, but colors rendered are different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous samples, who needs super-fast lenses? Smile I recognise the shot from the bridge in York - I took an identical one in 2001, not so nice weather though.

I don't know the Auto Takumars but I have the Super and S-M-C versions of this lens and they're definitely not any better than this - in fact the Super can't compete but I've always felt this one has a flaw. Perhaps the only thing that's been improved in later versions is the coatings, which might give a little more contrast, but who can moan about the contrast in #14? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuann, i did not pay a lot for this lens, the dealer had described it as having haze but i will be damned if i can see it a few specs of dust thats all. I paid £18 for it, i know thats a bargain i also have the auto takumar f2.2and the preset takumar 105mm and these are the lenses that changed ny mind on takumars.
I have the smc k mount 50mm f1.7 28mm f2.8 k mount the super takumar f2 (sold) and the super takumar 1.4 50mm and i like all of them but they seem to lack the character of three autotakumar the real early takumars just have pop, 3d and character.
And character is what i like in a lens hence some of my favourites being the chinon 1.7 (1st version) jupiter 9, zenitar 1.7, jupiter 11a 37a
Helios 44.
I reach for these over my konica hexanons, zeiss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Kuann, i did not pay a lot for this lens, the dealer had described it as having haze but i will be damned if i can see it a few specs of dust thats all. I paid £18 for it, i know thats a bargain i also have the auto takumar f2.2and the preset takumar 105mm and these are the lenses that changed ny mind on takumars.
I have the smc k mount 50mm f1.7 28mm f2.8 k mount the super takumar f2 (sold) and the super takumar 1.4 50mm and i like all of them but they seem to lack the character of three autotakumar the real early takumars just have pop, 3d and character.
And character is what i like in a lens hence some of my favourites being the chinon 1.7 (1st version) jupiter 9, zenitar 1.7, jupiter 11a 37a
Helios 44.
I reach for these over my konica hexanons, zeiss

great buy! Smile for me Japan is a good indicator as where prices of old lenses go, and this small Auto Takumar recently has risen much in price and if found offered, just imagine, it will be for abt. 100 Euro!

happy to know that you developed fondness for some Takumars. I also like later Takumars. Besides their excellent handling and build quality, which I find very important, a big reason actually also is.. the colors they render.

The early Takumars render colors quite differently, my f3.5/35 and the f2/55 Auto Takumars about the same, very stunning colors. The preset 105 and 135 more subdued but very beautiful nevertheless, the Auto Tak f1.8/85 somewhere in between, the f2/58 a bit different but stunning again... and certainly each of them has a lot of character! they are also very small and that I like too Wink

you mention Zeiss and Hexanons. Hm..maybe a sensitive issue, but well, it's maybe just about personal preference: The only Zeiss I own is the doubtless great f1.8/50 CZJ Pancolar.. but I never liked the colors it renders. The colors of the again great f1.8/50 Ultron I had on long time loan were much more to my liking, but still they were not my favs.

recently, for the first time, I also use a modern AF zoom, a kit lens. It is surprisingly sharp, for a kit lens, but...most of the time it looks so very boring, flat, lifeless.
now you certainly make me curious about these other lenses you mention Wink