Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco-Gottingen (M42 mount) Isconar 1:4/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Isco-Gottingen (M42 mount) Isconar 1:4/100 Reply with quote

I found this lens for Aus$5-00 at recent camera mart. It has the look of absolute 1950ish quality: everything is as smooth as silk. The lens appears to be exceptionally simple in design, yet rather elegant. It is purely manual everything, but smooth as butter. at least 9 or 10 diaphragm blades and optics like crystal.

I fitted it to my Ashi Pentax SP-F and, using stop-down metering (which invoved manual setting of the aperture) took a couple of shots (yet to come back from the processors).

The lens was still in its original cardboard cylinder: no fungus, and clear as crystal when focusing: it should give great images. Very Happy

As I said, no frills whatever; probably not even coated.

Anyone with experience of this or similar by the same maker. Question

Any info on the maker? Question

It is so compact, I almost suspect it was intended for a movie camera, or projector? Question

It certainly stands out from the crowd!

Last edited by Banjo on Wed May 26, 2010 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can post the photo of the lens here?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, found something here: http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00MqmD

Apparently it is considered to be a lower form of lens life and probably a triplet. Embarassed

Even so, it is a very well made item and I can mess about with it and see what it can do.

Worth the Aus$5-00 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Maybe you can post the photo of the lens here?

I'd love to post, but don't have the facilities: sorry! Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people do frown upon triplets, especially when more complex (and higher-priced) lenses are available. However, things such as the Hugo Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 got them lost their minds these days, and I feel sure you will find the ISCO can open up many creative possibilities.

ISCO was Schneider's "second label", short for Jos. Schneider CO. They made some lenses similar to those by Schneider but have their unique fields, such as movie projection lenses, for which they won two Oscars for technical innovations. Nothing to feel embarrassed about!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like it and it works well for you, I'd call it a bargain - regardless of what other people think. Wink

If you have a photo, but just need a place to put it, you can upload it directly to the forum. When you are typing a post, there is a button just up and to the right labeled "Upload picture". It can then be inserted into your post for everyone to see. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK all, thanks.

Thanks for the posting info, I'll give it a go, Scheimpflug. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact there is not a lot of information on this lens. And there is not a lot I can add.
But I own a nice copy of it and sometimes like playing with it. I'm afraid there are many weaknesses, first, the lens is slow. It allows only high ISO or good weather outside shooting, exposure should not be too long because of the focal length. 1/125 sec for me is ok or a tripod is necessary.
Wide open there is some CA, but not too much.
Flare really is an issue on this lens. I always wanted to add a hood. There is no effective coating on the glass, maybe not even single coating.
What you get with this lens is a rare focal length and a really rare lens. It is pretty sharp in the centre. Bokeh for me is nice, f4 just right for a portrait-dof. And it is a pretty lens with zebra design, light weight and small size.
My samples are of no use for evaluating the lens. But I liked the pictures taken of and with the lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more test shots from today. ISO 100, EOS 10D. Distance to the flowers about 3 m.

First shot open, second stopped down to f11. Missed focus a bit Sad but good enough to see, that it is sharp, has triplet-bokeh, a bit swirly, some CA and even flares in the shadow.
Captured raw, PP with ufraw, standard settings, camera color profile, camera WB, sent to gimp and saved as jpg. Nothing more, nothing less.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another test shot as comparison to the ones before.
Pentax Optio S30. I tried to simulate the settings of the Canon.
So even a not so good lens is waaaaay better than an old not so bad pocket cam Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISCO G is the secondary , cheaper line of Schneider.

With the exception of the late models made largely of plastic which were terrible- built to very poor tolerances ... the earlier ones were by and large well built and still beautiful to behold today.

Optically however, none of them are particularly spectacular from those I've had ... and those I've read about.

If you want a good performer, get a takumar instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic 135/4 I had was very sharp, contrasty and with great colors. It is sort of an underdog lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me post a photo in this thread without opening such topics.

metal Isconar Exakta mount (Thanks to Michael Keller for this lens).

in blue tones:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice I like fingerprint of lens, great photo!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this photo is superb.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
The plastic 135/4 I had was very sharp, contrasty and with great colors. It is sort of an underdog lens.

Interesting........I've got one of these and I've probably used it once. Perhaps it's time to get it out of the box?

I like your picture sergtum, very nice. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isco 100mm f4 was one of my first manual focus "finds". I am still amazed at the quality of the images they create That was with the APS-C canon EOS 60D) . Even with 50's optics. I must get it out and try it on the a7II.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends Friends Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as well, but not used it. It's in the cabinet next to other Exa items!
Should be this one:
Isconar 100mm f/4.0 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, I think, an f4.5 version of this lens.
See:
http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-gottingen-isconar-4-5-100-t70458.html

T

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 shots from forest