Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50/2.8 - first impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50/2.8 - first impressions Reply with quote

Here the lens:

And here a test-photo:

To compare with the Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8:

The comparison is not taken too seriously, because I did different picture post-procession (with the RAW-photos) and the photos were created at different times, different perspectives and different light conditions.

Roughly one can say, that the Xenar 50/2.8 produces realistic colors and sharp photos.
The Pancolar produces warm colors and is very sharp even wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenar looks more close to AF lenses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a nice lens. The colours are at least partially due to the rendition of the SD and the changing light source (our infamous WB boogie). This makes comparison very difficult.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very promising. I'd like to see more shots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some of mine. It's a slightly different version of the lens but it's a VERY nice lens. It looks mighty cool mounted and easily competes with the best Tessar designs out there.

At F/8:

And hand-held at 1/8s

Wide Open:

Sorry about the slight motion blur (camera movement) there:

Still, those last show what it can do wide open... Wink Here's some 100% crops of the last one:

And here's what the lens looks like. The aperture scale on it is a dynamic red ring that almost looks like liquid in a tube that flows out to range indices. I think it's definitely one I'll keep in my collection.

Keep in mind that these are on a GH1 (m4/3) so the 100% crops are not going to look like you FF'ers are used to. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a very nice lens!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those samples look amazing. Are you sure the pic of the dogs is wide open as there seems to be a lot in focus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very well known performer!!

Some I took using a f1.9/40mm Xenar fully open.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xenar 50 is one of the better tessar's design lens.

The differences among both xenars are logical, the Retro's xenar is a 1954 lens, while the Tesselator's xenar is a 1960/1981 made for edixa one.

Note than the second has the purple reflection (benefict the green transmission) that wasn't in the old german's tessar design lenses.

I would like to see a comparison among the xenon 1,9 and the xenar 2,8 normals schneiders.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am I wrong or do these lenses show very low CA???
I own a F2/50 Cine Xenar with Arri mount, but everytime I simply hold the lens in front of my 7D I am amazed by the CA free image it delivers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens

(G1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
A great lens

(G1)

There's some fantastic images in this thread, but this one is right up my street! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prewar small format f2.8 Xenars were actually 5 element 'tessar' designs...and render somewhat smoother out of focus areas than Tessar types.

Not sure if the post war ones were 5 elements. I have a prewar one that needs some work (focus frozen) but I can tell by the reflections it's a 5 element design.

If you count the reflections you may be able to confirm the amount of elements yours has.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostWar Xenars were 5 element at least at the beginning
AGFA Karat-Xenar has 5 element in the Karat 12 (~1948)

eggboy wrote:
The prewar small format f2.8 Xenars were actually 5 element 'tessar' designs...and render somewhat smoother out of focus areas than Tessar types.

Not sure if the post war ones were 5 elements. I have a prewar one that needs some work (focus frozen) but I can tell by the reflections it's a 5 element design.

If you count the reflections you may be able to confirm the amount of elements yours has.