Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rexagon 35mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Rexagon 35mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Just got this lens. M42, switch for auto-manual.

Any feedback on the lens?. Might it be made by Tokina?

Kind regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexagon 35 mm same brand Rexatar 135 mm?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like a Rexagon, but on mine the aperture reading runs the other way, i.e. f2.8 is the LEFT most marking, whereas this seems the reverse?

Oddly it does bear a startling resemblance to my Yashinon DS-M in general construction, if not in detail. It has a Tokina 'look' about it, but also elements (pun NOT intended) from Tomioka and Cosina...

So????

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a zoom 80/200 F/4,5 macro rexatar. All same brand??? Which??

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rexagon 35mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Any feedback on the lens?. Might it be made by Tokina? Kind regards,

Jes.

Looks like the lenses offered with the Chinon/GAF SLRs of the mid 70s. Not quite sure who to pin them on, but Tokina is not likely. Similar to Makinon and Hanimex lenses of the time.

Last edited by casualcollector on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rexagon 35mm 2.8 Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Jes.

Looks like the lenses offered with the Chinon/GAF SLRs of the mid 70s. Not quite sure who to pin them on, but Tokina is not likely. Similar to Makinon and Hanimex lenses of the time.

I saw lot of chinons that said Tomioka too in the front ring (2,8/100, 1,4/50, etc).

Is this lens a tomioka ones?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See please

http://m42.artlimited.net/lens_show.php?id=img/lens/149-1.jpg&lid=149

I saw this lenses in the end of 70's sold with "prinz" labeled.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rexagon 35mm 2.8 Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Jes.

Yes, they do look quite similar...
Thanks!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexar, Rexatar were names used by Prinz, which was a distributor and mail-order dealer. I suppose Rexagon was another name they used, so I think this lens was sold by Prinz.

This one also looks a lot like lenses sold under the Focal brand, used by US department store chain K-Mart.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Rexar, Rexatar were names used by Prinz, which was a distributor and mail-order dealer. I suppose Rexagon was another name they used, so I think this lens was sold by Prinz.

This one also looks a lot like lenses sold under the Focal brand, used by US department store chain K-Mart.

Agreed, and thank you for your post.

The Rexagon lenses do, indeed, seem to be from Prinz, as you suggested might be the case. They are not of premium quality but, it appears, they are nevertheless quite usable. Here is a reference:

http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ClubM42/conversations/topics/4873

You have to scroll down a bit to find the full text of the writing which commences "Back over three decades . . . "

Beyond that, here is further substantiation of the Rexagon/Prinz link, at least for the UK and for the EU:

http://uk.trademarkdirect.co.uk/rexagon-1072979

In the USA? Dunno.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prinzflex were a brand sold by the high street store Dixons in the 1970's and 80's.

That style with the chrome rings each side of the focus grip, the red diamond and the print style are very common on store branded lenses that appeared under so many different names.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to some Soligors that, I think, are made by Sun. Many stylistic differences in this family.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Prinzflex were a brand sold by the high street store Dixons in the 1970's and 80's.

That style with the chrome rings each side of the focus grip, the red diamond and the print style are very common on store branded lenses that appeared under so many different names.

Yes, good post and interesting stuff.

Those very thin chrome rings, alongside the grip both front and rear, are a feature of my Rexagon 23 recently acquired. They are also a feature you can see in the OP's photo of his Rexagon 35.

While I acquired my lens here in the USA from a USA seller, I have no way to know if it originated here . . . . . or not.

It strikes me that while the Rexagons are not sharp edge to edge when used on full frame, film, cameras, they might nevertheless be quite suitable and satisfactory for use with digital cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Very similar to some Soligors that, I think, are made by Sun. Many stylistic differences in this family.

+1