All About Photographic Lenses.
Specifications, comparison, reviews, MTF-charts for lenses by Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, Tamron, Carl Zeiss, etc.
Forum

Do you like a good instrumental music?
Listen to new beautiful music from composer Sergei Borodin. Click HERE...

Sigma Lenses With Fungus

This message was deleted.

voyager :: 02.07.2016 00:15:08

lvl. 1 (Lens-Learner)

I have 3 Sigma Lenses with fungi growing on the interior of the lens elements.

Sigma AF 70-210 f2.8 APO

Sigma AF 28-70 f2.8

Sigma AF105 f2.8 Macro EX

The two zooms were purchased back in the '80s when I bought my Nikon N8008.

The Macro was bought several years later.

I have finally made my move into the digital age.

I bought a Nikon D610 and immediately noticed the image degradation caused by the fungi.

I  have begun to replace these lenses with updated versions beginning with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG OS.

I'm very happy with it so far.

So, instead of outright scrapping the old lenses out, I want to try cleaning them myself.

I am looking for advice on how to go about disassembling these lenses, or advice on where to get that advice.

EDIT:

As I look at them it appears that I'll need to begin at the back [bayonet] end and work mky way forward needing to almost completely disasseble the complete lens to access the front element. I hope that I'm wrong. But if not, so be it.

voyager :: 17.06.2017 02:07:43

lvl. 1 (Lens-Learner)

After a year with no responses, I assume the hope of getting some help or info from here is a lost cause.

Dave Oplinger :: 28.06.2017 00:11:33

lvl. 1 (Lens-Learner)

Ответ для voyager (02.07.2016 00:15:08):

Just seeing this now.  I don't have experience with those sigma lenses, but I have taken apart several others to clean.  Not that hard to get apart, but two things you really need to watch out for.  The TINY ball bearings that may be inside that are used for the "click" when you change aperture values - take your time and slowly remove parts, just remember where he ball was and replace when finished.  Second is the aperture blades themselves.  Some people have the right tools, time and patience to remove, clean and replace the blades - I do not!  Usually, there is an internal ring holding them down, so unless you want to venture the, don't remove it.  You should be able to gain access to the interior surfaces of the lenses in order to clean them even without taking out the aperture blades.  I just used isopropyl alcohol to clean mine and uit worked great, but I'm guessing someone has an issue with that and will tell you not to.  Hope that helps!

Tom_GER :: 30.06.2017 18:28:37
Tom
Germany, Andernach
lvl. 4 (Lens-Pro)
Hi voyager, I am also trying in disassembling some of my old lenses with good success but also lost some. Unfortunately not your named Sigma lenses. If you want to do so start with an old prime lense first. Zoom lenses are much more complex and difficult. Take a picture e.g. by your mobile phone camera from each disassembling step - you will need it. There are some good disassembling videos at YouTube too which could be helpful too. I will post some more details later...
> ...old stuff can be excellent as well ;-)

Tom_GER :: 01.07.2017 13:04:32
Tom
Germany, Andernach
lvl. 4 (Lens-Pro)

My equipment for lense cleaning and repairing is:

- a light textile base (to collect felt down screws and metal balls)
- some very small screwdrivers
- a soldering tweezer
- a magnet to collect all removed screws
- nitrile rubber gloves, in order not to touch the glass
- a special lens screwer
- a lenspen
- cotton swabs
- lens cleaning cloth
- microfiber cloth
- super rocket air blower with filter
- multipurpose grease Li-based, like Castrol LMX grease for oiling
- pure ethanol, propanol, acetone and/or pure benzine for cleaning and deoiling
- anti fungus cleaner for first cleaning of the glass
- rubber rings in different sizes to remove the (labelled) front ring on the lenses

The aperture blades I am deoiling carefully with cotton swabs and benzine, then again with acetone (take care, acetone is very aggressive) and finally with with some pure ethanol. Cleaning of the aperture blades I start from the back side of the lense and try to avoid its complete disassembly if it is not  too oily.

Of course it is not a professional equipment but I am satisfied with it.

See some pictures (of different lenses) with tricky parts attached.

Picture 1 and 2 describes how to remove the front ring. Picture 3 shows the special screw driver. On picture 3 you see the tricky metal ball which Dave described already...)

> ...old stuff can be excellent as well ;-)

voyager :: 14.09.2017 12:02:39

lvl. 1 (Lens-Learner)

Oops.

You guys snuck up on me.

I had given up on getting any responses.

Luckily, I hadn't deleted the bookmark for this.

@ Javier

I have looked and looked, can't find service manuals for any of these lenses.

@ Dave Oplinger and Tom_GER

I bought a number of tools to work on them with, but haven't looked at them in quite awhile. I'll need to go back and dig them out to see exactly what I have. I've been through Youtube. There was at least 1 video. But, it was so sped up and far from the lens that it was too hard to see what they were doing for sure. I'm wrapped up in a few other things right now, but would like to get back to this soon.

Thanks for your responses on this.

Back to top page

You must be logged in to add a message