The Russar MR-2 20 mm f/5.6 (Russian: "Руссар МР-2") is an interchangeable lens for rangefinder cameras with the m39 Leica screw-mount (LSM). It is equipped with an iris aperture. The lens is coated.
The lens came complete with the VI-20 (rus. ВИ-20) viewfinder (also designed for the faster Sputnik-4 lens).
The primary usage of the MR-2 (rus. МР-2), the only series-produced commercial lens employing the Russar optical scheme, is panoramic, architecture and cramped room photography.
In 1958 at the World's Fair in Brussels the set of lenses, the Russar MR-2 20 mm f/5.6 being a part of it, was awarded the Grand Prix.
The original optical scheme of the Russar MR-2 20 mm f/5.6 was designed by M. M. Rusinov in 1953. It makes it possible to minimize a decrease of brightness, typical of wide-angle lenses, owing to the so-called aberrational vignetting. Many aerial photographic lenses employed this scheme.
The Russar design was over and over again borrowed by non-USSR manufacturers. The optical schemes of Zeiss Biogon-2, Schneider Super Angulon, Rodenstock Grandagon are Russar-based, as well.
By the way, in 1942-1943 M. M. Rusinov was a deputy chief designer of the KMZ (then plant No 393).
Links to online resources:
Posted by: nemiligor Date of publication: 28.03.2011